Have an account?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Shaping Our Identity

By:

Dillon Wheeler


In this post, I mention identity a lot, and I just wanted to say, by identity I mean our conscious, way we act, think, our intelligence, memory, every brain process that is unique to each Human Being after a certain point. With that said, lets begin, shall we?


This is how we are physically identified,

but how do we identify our minds?


Over the past week, I have begun to wonder something. Something about reality. Something about Us. I began to wonder if we all start off exactly the same, and our identities are shaped by internal and external environments.


I mean, as soon as we are conceived, are we all equal? Equal in the sense that we have no identity? Again, I don't mean like eight months in the womb, I mean as soon as we are conceived, at the very moment when life has begun.


This is conception.


And if we are all the same, do we exist individually or are we everyone and everyone is us? Like a singular collective mind?


A collection of videos, like the higher collective

mind, if all humans were one.


But the question is, how would we know? If everyone was identical, what would we be?


As I sat on the daily train ride home, I looked to the man sitting across from me. I watched him for a brief time (I'm not a creeper…. I think) and I imagined myself being that man, and in truth, it was not that hard to imagine. There exist the distinct possibility that I could have been him and he could have been me, us being each other, "mentally" of course, and under the right circumstances.


Circumstances.


Let me give you an example, say twins are born at the exact same moment. By some occurrence, their parents gave them up for adoption, so both children are given up for adoption at the exact same time, and are both adopted by different people.


So here we are, with two infant human beings. Could we say that these babies have identities? Maybe, but most likely the answer would be No (refer to what I mean by identity at the top). So now lets believe these babies have grown up, one became a good man and the other an evil man. What is there that leads us to believe that these men were destined to become good and evil?


The Fictional Good Man - His parent treated him with care, gave him attention, encouraged and loved him.


The Fictional Evil Man - His parent mistreated him, gave him no attention, showed no love towards him.

There is a fine line between

good and evil.


So the environment that these twins grew up in, influenced their identity, it shaped them to become what they are now. So then we reverse their environments, the good twin is placed in the abusive home, and the evil twin is placed in the loving home. When they grew up, would the good twin still become the good twin, and the evil twin become evil? Or would their roles be reversed? It is likely that their roles would indeed become reversed, and so we could say that the two twins started off with "blank slates".


So if everyone starts off with blank slates, does that mean we can choose our identity? Does that mean that I chose who I am?


What if there is a singular identity and that everyone is a representation of that single identity? Would that identity be God's identity? Or does that mean something else, like the existence of reality all together?


Contemplate this, perhaps we were all created by God's vision (Im not very religious by the way) and subtle variations in the "formula" for identity made us all what we are now. Subtle variations meaning the environment I illustrated in the example above.


God's vision.


If this "formula" made us all what we are now, can we say that therefore we are all God himself? To make it clear, what I mean is that perhaps we all started off as God had intended (A vision of himself, or Adam if you will) but then, along the way, we morphed and mutated into what and who we are through the internal and external environments.


I am not a firm believer in God, though I do believe in a higher power, although not what you would think (maybe i will get into it in a future blog post?) and to conclude, sorry, but I do not know the answer to the questions I posed.


Oh, and if you like the blog and enjoy reading my writing, follow the blog, or drop a few comments telling me what you think, the feedback, good or bad would be much appreciated,


Thank You,

Dillon Wheeler

0 comments:

Post a Comment