Have an account?

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

how do we come to trust our memories?

Hey. Ponder this: there is only one way we prove that the past existed. Only one thing that satisfies our question of whether events happened or not. That is our memory. How do we know events happened? We remember them. In this sense time may not be real if all we have to base it on is memory. We trust memory because we believe it can not be falsified. But what if it can. What if my existence is nothing more than a few minutes old and my memories, fake as they are, tell me I've lived 19 years. But really I'm here with falsified memories and same with everyone else. If my presence was added to your memory a few minutes ago you and I would have no way of knowing how old I really am. Now imagine that at a full scale. Everyone I've ever come in contact with being rewritten with my presence in mind. Now my 19 years are nothing more than a lie. Same with an end. What if we could be written out just as easily. Maybe we knew someone yesterday that we have no recollection of today.

Thank you for listening,
Matt

0 comments:

Post a Comment