Have an account?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

December 21 Lunar Eclipse

Anybody catch the Lunar Eclipse yesterday? I stayed up until three in the morning watching it. 

Here are some photos of the partial lunar eclipse,



And a bad quality photo, I just wanted to upload it because of the light beside the almost complete lunar eclipse. I'm pretty sure it is just the part of the moon that was uncovered, same shape as the piece on the moon but I am not sure how that happened when I took the picture, weird illusion. Thought I'd share.




And that is all folks. The next time a Lunar Eclipse will appear on the Winter Solstice is in 2092, the last time before yesterday was 372 years ago. Most of  us probably will not be alive to see the next one on the winter solstice (I will be over 100 if I am still kicking!) so if you did see the eclipse, consider yourself lucky to have been able to witness such an event.

Also what makes it more rare, is the height of the moon in the sky for the eclipse, I heard that the last time the a Lunar Eclipse happened when the moon was so high in the sky was somewhere around 450 A.D! So you should consider yourself very lucky if you managed to see it.

Thanks,
Dillon Wheeler

0 comments:

Post a Comment